Friday, December 18, 2009

How are you defined?

Even though people hate to be judged they often judge. The phrase "actions speak louder than words" is true in many respects. I'm defined as weird because of some of the things I do (this is more of an asset then you might think, but Ill get to that later), people are always defined by what they do and as soon as a person screws up they may completely lose their reputation. I remember this kid a couple years back who graduated 2008 at my school. He was considered next to Jesus basically because of the things he did, he was the first to pray for someone who asked, he read his Bible so much, etc... How are you defined? Do people know you are a Christian by what you say or by what you do? If you any normal person, you probably hated it if your parents used the old "do as i say not as i do". Role models are people who do what they say. Hypocrites are people who say one thing and do another. Which are you? This is another thing that irritates me with my school. So many kids (and the occasional teacher) claim to be role models but are hypocrites. The same can be said of some churches. Is your church Christian because thats what it says on the sign, or is your church Christian because your church acts as Christ acted? I hate to say this but I am beginning to think that my church is Christian because the sign out front says it is. Oh sure we do some good stuff now and then, but people have to come to my church to hear about Christ, we are not going out and telling people about him.
I have to also mention how it is most people judge. We generally judge first on appearance, then we judge by what people do. It is cool that we have a God who judges not by appearance but by the heart.

I said earlier that I would tell you why being weird and generally at the bottom of the social ladder is an asset. Basically if you don't have any amount of social standing, you don't have any amount of social standing to lose and can basically do as you feel led. It is incredibly freeing (once you get past the initial shock and stop crying) to not feel like you have to be a certain person to maintain where you stand in relation to your peers. God takes you as you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment