Sunday, November 15, 2009

Family time

This weekend I went out to visit my grandpa in Texas. It made me sad to see how much animosity there was between my dad and my grandpa. Now let me give you a little background info on my dad and his parents. My grandma really wanted to have a child, but she miscarried, eight times. When my dad finally came around she babied him, which made my grandpa think less of him (long complicated story). Anyways my grandpa never really had an education past the eighth grade and a whole lot of other stuff to go along with my dad's extreme displeasure in my grandpa. My dad and grandpa do not get along really at all. Both are stubborn. This makes me sad because in seeing this I got one of those great moments where it turns back on yourself. I realized that I really had this bitterness in my heart towards my dad and I had not forgiven him. I started thinking about it more and more and I realized that when my dad is a 90 something I do not want to have the same problems that he has with his dad. So thats the topic for tonight. Forgiveness.
Forgiving someone for something is not exactly easy to do, but God calls us to forgive as he forgave.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It sounds like God's got you on an incredible journey. Forgiveness is a difficult process. But remember what Paul said to the church in Philippi (ch 4), "I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. who said forgiving was easy. when i think about the forgiveness we receive from Christ and how He had to die i start to wonder if that is in some ways the same with us, the verse that tells us to die to ourself i wonder if possibly it means that we have to die to ourself in order to forgive as Christ forgave.

    ReplyDelete