Sunday, February 21, 2010

Vancouver

So now that I am back I will post the journal I kept while there, try and stay with me I am a little ADD when I write.
January 14
Well I have to say that I am optimistic about the rest of the trip. Already I can see God knitting our hearts together. I confess that I judged some of the other girls, but now after such a short time I can that I love each and every one of them. I was thinking about the verse in Psalm 139 that says that God knit us together in our mothers womb. After learning how to knit I now understand the full meaning of these words. When a person knits there is so much deliberation or planning in each and every stitch, more than that there are so many different results.
All of our planes were on time, PTL. I am bunking with Karima, Alexa, Ms. Anderson, and Mrs. Nix.

February 15, 2010
Today we had an awesome time going around the city taking random photos. It was great, especially getting to talk to people. We really bonded especially since we stayed together and did not break into teams for the scavenger hunt. I am really praying for the Holy Spirit to come in and mess us up (in a good way) and bring us together. Tomorrow we really begin work. Today I saw the Spirit beginning to work. I'm wiped out after a long day.

February 16, 2010
Today was awesome, so far that is. Tonight we are going to a warming station to serve hot cocoa from roughly 6 PM until midnight. Today we did a prayer walk downtown where they are planting churches. We had the amazing opportunity to talk to a few homeless people and we prayed with a man named Uga (spelling may be off). I am impressed with Lynzee and Karima's ability to just walk up and talk to people. I wonder what kind of struggles with which they deal. OK, that was bad, I fixed my sentence like I am turning this in for a grade or something and it is still awkward. I am praying that we are filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit tonight, we will need it, no doubt.
Wow it has been so incredible. Just giving people hot chocolate around the olympic games. There were some really interesting people and I really rhink we left a pretty big impact in some people's lives. Some of the people were so impressed or appreciative of just a small act of service. The lesson learned tonight was that it does not matter how big of a thing you do, the biggest impact you can have is just loving people as you do it.

February 17, 2010
Slept in a little. We went to the Muslim friendship centre today. While some of what we learned was a little bit of review, some was new and it was convicting because I have judged them in the past. We went to the mall which was fun and crazy.
When we got to the station today I managed to take more than half of my fingernail off, but after regaining my composure (or lack there of) it was great just going out giving people hot chocolate again.

February 18, 2010
This morning we went to North Vancouver, but before we left I was reading in Esther, and verse 4:16 really changed something in me. Basically Esther said she'd help the Jews and she said towards the end, "If I perish, I perish." Could you imagine being so devoted to your people you were fully willing to die for them. What is even more crazy is that is how we should be looking at ministering to people. Anyways, I had some great conversations on the sky trains and the sea bus with people. I need to pray for Steven (who has food poisoning, or had), David (who's bought a house), Delana, and another lady I met on the train (I did not get her name). Only David is for sure a Christian, a really cool story. I have decided that I need to purposely put myself in situations that require me to talk to more people about Christ.
Wow what a tiring night, it seems everyone is tired, achy, or sick. I really have to pray for everyone on that note. It was great seeing the people's reaction to receiving hot chocolate. So many asked what the catch was. A little disappointing that I did not get to talk in depth to anyone, but still able to offer a little warmth.

February 19, 2010
Well today we went to the Buddhist temple and the Indian cultural centre. It really saddened me to see the number of deceived people there. On the train I met a man named Jason who was from Trinidad and believed in Hinduism. It was interesting that a lot of people believe what they believe because that is what their parents believed. I am slowly seeing that I am able to talk to anyone on a train (or rather I am able to open up to let God talk). If God is for us who cares if anyone comes against us.

February 20, 2010
Our last full day in Canada, I cannot believe it. Today we went up to Lynn Valley to an old fashioned suspension bridge. On the way there I got to speak to a lady going to visit her friend, Sharon, who is in the hospital so I will be praying for her. Then, on the way back I met Mary Helen who has lost her faith. On the sky train I talked to a few people who were anti religion, they said they were not against God, but rather against His followers. It is sad to see what a terrible job we, as Christians, are doing. Well it is time to change that, and that will be my mission when I get home. I am so glad about the things that God has allowed me to see and learn on this trip. It is funny that some of the other girl were saying they were impressed with "my" ability to talk to people, but it scared me to death, but as soon as I opened up more to God's will it was not hard, and it was not my words, rather God's.
Why does the mission trip have to end when I get home? God has shown that he can and will use me, so what does geographic location matter. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment